10/04/2009 03:52:00 p.m.

DESIGNER SPOTLIGHT: SARAH SHELL

Posted by Anonymous |




We at Dead Sexy Mag very pleased and honoured to showcase the amazing work of hot designer SARAH SHELL of 442 MCADAM in the Fashion Spread of our October issue. Sarah's clutches, miniskirt and skirt bags are getting a lot of attention both in Toronto and Canada. They are hot, hot, hot!

Born and bred Western girl Sarah has recently set up shop in Toronto, yet she is currently returning to her roots by showcasing her designs at the 1st annual ALBERTA FASHION WEEK in Calgary. Sarah was kind enough to slow down enough to say hi, answer a few questions and smile to the camera!

Dead Sexy: “Where does the inspiration for you bag designs come from?”

Sarah: “442 came about to fill a desire of mine for a quality bohemian purse, one that can handle a heavy load, and all the abuse that goes along with being taken advantage of. I didn't like wearing what everyone else was wearing; I'm always hesitant to give in to trends. Something is beautiful if it's beautiful, if it grabs you as an individual, makes your heart jump - the concept of being told what is beautiful and the idea that everyone at once finds it beautiful is a concept I always understood as brainwashing. AND I didn't want a delicate flower that I'd have to break my bank account to get. I also didn't want to resort to travel/gear bags, because I didn't find them visually appealing. I was never a purse-girl, I'd grab my important cards and stuff them in my pocket, but I'd also always find that I'd
have a million things in my hands and I just wanted a hands-free alternative, but again, something that matched my style and could
handle how abusive I am to my clothes and accessories. At the same time, I was doing management consulting work on a project
researching straps. From belts to guitar slings, including rifle
slings. I was not thrilled about having to walk in to a bunch of
hunting stores, but I came across these very wonderful intricately
designed leather slings, and I thought to myself that it's a real
shame such a beautiful creation is used for a sport that has always
upset me. Thus, the first hobo bag was born, with a very attention-
grabbing sling. It was a hobby at first. A storeowner noticed it
and asked me to make some for her store. Then a Fashion Magazine writer came through the store and wrote a piece on my line, giving birth to 442 McAdam.”

Dead Sexy: “Has Calgary/ Western Canada played a major role as inspiration?”

Sarah: “Definitely. They have been so positive and encouraging, everyone from media to buyers and friends provided me with the platform and the confidence to go full-throttle on this line, I honestly couldn't have got this far without their encouragement. I am so thrilled to call Calgary home and the launching ground of 442. I think the line started with a much more western influence then it currently has but I do not attribute that to Calgary. One stereotype that Alberta, Calgary in particular, still carries is this hat'n'boot leather-clad cowboy. This is not the case. Calgary has truly been pushing forward at an amazing pace, in terms of fashion. The boutiques are incredible and popping up everywhere you look. Yes, the Stampede brings that cowboy style back on the streets, and unfortunately that one week of the year is when most people visit, so they assume this is a typical sight. It is not. Edmonton has this bohemian-punk style that is pretty wicked. Calgary is showing a real spread in fashion, they have really been embracing fashion and it's wonderful to see.”

“Alberta Fashion Week (taking place October 4-10) is an example of
this - there is a huge line-up of talented designers from Alberta
being showcased, they are really nurturing the talent there, just as
they nurtured, and continue to nurture, me and 442 McAdam. The
inspirational role that Alberta played was this opportunity to
develop the line, and the acceptance of me as a design label. These
are two things very hard to find and are the reason I am so touched
by their generosity in those ways.”

Dead Sexy: “What materials do you use? Vintage? Recycled?”

Sarah: “A lot of people ask me that. I use cowhide leather, new, and I personally choose each hide based on quality of the leather, texture, and color.”

Dead Sexy: Who is you favorite designer bags or otherwise?

Sarah: “I appreciate quality and details in most bags, I'm usually the one at the coffee shop, it looks like I'm gazing at your bum, but I'm actually looking at the details of your bag.”

Dead Sexy: “What's next for you and 442 McAdam?

Sarah: “I'm really excited about the Spring/Summer '10 collection, which is being photographed as we speak. It's a little more girly - definitely inspired by my trip to eastern Europe where I was just amazed by all these pretty girls riding their bicycles around with their striking bags draped in such a bohemian manner over their shoulder. I am presenting this collection at Alberta Fashion Week in a few weeks, and AFW is throwing a big 442 after-party on my behalf, so what I'm most looking forward to is my dirty martini at the after-party.”

“We just moved the line to Toronto about a month ago, so I'm really
looking forward to getting to know the industry here and expanding
the line in the east. I'm one of the newest members of the Toronto Fashion Incubator and The Stylebox - they have been very embracing of the line, and as a result I've had the pleasure of seeing 442 being worn by celebrities at various red-carpet events during TIFF.”

“There's been requests to bring 442 out to the US, but I want to focus on Canada right now. There are great things ahead for the
line, it's really taken on its own personality, I feel like I'm
lucky to be along for the ride.”

Dead Sexy: “Where did the name come from?

Sarah: “It's my grand-parents' address in Winnipeg. My mom grew up there, and I have spent every summer at that house. My grand-parents are survivors of the Holocaust, they immigrated to Canada and after a few years in Winnipeg, they purchased 442 McAdam, where they are still residing to this day. They are the strongest people I know and have been very supportive in every decision I've made, including deciding to enroll in fashion when I should have been applying to med schools. My oldest friend lives next door, she is also a symbol of strength to me.”

Where can we purchase your bags?

Covet+Crave (Toronto, 789 King St West)
Poor Little Rich Girl (Toronto, 2094 Yonge Street)
Oz Boutique (Newmarket, 947 Portminister Ct )
Coco+Violet (Calgary, 2500 4th St SW)
Thread Hill (Edmonton, 10725 124th St NW)
Luxe Label (Winnipeg, 1693 Corydon Ave)

Online at www.442McAdam.com

Photograph by Alex Brown

Subscribe